Who remembers 1984's Night of the Comet? The B-movie starred Catherine Mary Stewart, Robert Beltran and Kelli Maroney as survivors of a comet shower that turned most observers into zombies (or just plain dead). Well, Hollywood has never met a zombie it didn't like, so Orion Pictures is planning a remake, according to Movieweb.com.
And why not? The movie might get a bad rap for its campy plot, but the acting was fun, and it scooped up $14 million at the box office on a mere $700,000 budget. Plus, Night of the Comet is credited with inspiring the great Joss Whedon to create his Buffy Summers character (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer).
According to Movieweb, fans should expect a less comedic take on Night of the Comet this time around, with the focus more on the sci-fi aspects of the story. (Sigh – the comedy was the best part!) Roxanne Benjamin (XX, Southbound) has been tapped to write the script, but no director has been named so far.
TOP 5 MEMORABLE QUOTES FROM NIGHT OF THE COMET:
5. "You're not gonna blame me because the phone went dead. I'm not the phone company. Nobody's the phone company anymore!"
4. "Attention K-mart shoppers!"
3. "If bachelorette number one isn't out here in half a tick, I'm gonna ice bachelorette number two, got it?"
2. "My sister, who swiped every guy I ever had my eye on, has now swiped the last guy in the whole freaked out world!"
1. "Geez! There goes the neighborhood."